So I went out to the marina yesterday. I checked the forecast before going so I knew there wouldn’t be any wind for sailing. My plan was to get some much-needed work finished….or at least started! 🙂

Ever since I tore out the v-berth shortly after I purchased the Hunter 25, I’ve been without an anchor cleat since I had to ensure I repaired the water leak and re-installed the plywood surrounding the anchor locker on the inside.

I finished the installation of the plywood last month, so it was a great day to keep up the momentum of the repairs I needed to complete. I intended to complete the installation of the anchor cleat and at least get started on the shelving in the cabin [quarter berth] and the v-berth.

I started with drilling the holes for the anchor cleat then test-fitting it to ensure everything lined up. I put butyl tape down over the holes then placed the cleat down. To ensure no water intrusion at all, I put some butyl tape in the screw holes so they’d be sealed up once tightened. Went down below and put the washers and nuts on and then with the assistance of a dock friend, Trey Tabor, we tightened the screws to secure the cleat. Only thing left to do then was putting the anchor rode back onto the cleat.

After completing this project, I made templates for the shelving repairs I needed to complete. I used a cardboard box to create the templates I need to cut the plywood. That’ll be today’s project.

Here’s the photos from the anchor cleat project:

Anchor locker with cleat removed.

Anchor locker with cleat removed.

Butyl tape installed over the holes after drilling through the plywood below.

Butyl tape installed over the holes after drilling through the plywood below.

Anchor cleat installed, including butyl tape in the screw holes.

Anchor cleat installed, including butyl tape in the screw holes.

Anchor cleat completely installed. I covered the screw heads with the butyl tape and formed the butyl tape around the base of the cleat to help seal it.

Anchor cleat completely installed. I covered the screw heads with the butyl tape and formed the butyl tape around the base of the cleat to help seal it.

Washers and nuts installed below in the v-berth.

Washers and nuts installed below in the v-berth.

Close-up of the completely installed anchor cleat.

Close-up of the completely installed anchor cleat.

Anchor cleat installed and anchor rode attached.

Anchor cleat installed and anchor rode attached.